Re: Installing newer kernels

On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 15:09:51 -0500
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu 17 Mar 2016 at 16:18:14 (-0700), William Lee Valentine wrote:
> > I have installed Debian 2.6.32-5-686 on two machines. One, a custom
> > machine, has a Pentium III processor running at 800 megahertz, and
> > has 500 megabytes of memory; the other is an IBM Mpro
> > Intellistation 6229 with a Pentium IIII processor running at 2.2
> > gigahertz, and has 2 gigabytes of memory.
> >
> > Debian notified me of updates for some time after I had had put it
> > on those machines. Then it ceased to have anything to say about
> > updates. I have four questions to ask about maintaining Debian.
> >
> > (1) Am I to update the kernel periodically? Is there advantage to
> > doing so?
> >
> > (2) If I do, will I again receive notices of updates, and will these
> > reference only the new kernel or the new kernel and also other
> > programs that I have installed?
> >
> > (3) If I update the kernel, do I simply download it and install it
> > over the old one, or is there some process of uninstalling the old
> > kernel that is needed before a later kernel is put in?
> >
> > (4) How much disc space, at the minimum, should I allot to Debian,
> > if I leave it essentially in a single block on the primary disc
> > drive? I assume that OpenOffice will be installed automatically
> > (since it was earlier); and I will try to install XAMPP, WordPress,
> > and Drupal.
> >
> > Thank you for helping me to understand how to maintai8n these
> > systems.
>
> In case this might be useful, here's my own checklist for a
> dist-upgrade:
>

> A fairly full list of steps in upgrading a Debian distribution.
> Running script might help, with care when it is upgraded itself.
> It's safer not to be in X.
>
> 0. check backups are valid, rebackup, and repeat before big steps.
>
> 1. read any upgrade/release notes for the new distribution.
>
> 2. apt-get update the current packages list.
>
> 3. apt-get upgrade the current distribution.
>
> 4. apt-get dist-upgrade the current distribution if necessary.
>
> 5. remove any 3rd-party and iffy packages, and backports, if possible.
>
> 6. (re)move desktop environment stuff.
>
> 7. renew the sources list, also commenting out any 3rd-party sources.
>
> 8. review /etc/apt/preferences* and /etc/apt/apt.conf* and/or move
> them.
>
> 9. apt-get clean (though I do this myself as a matter of routine).
>
> 10. apt-get update the new packages list.
>
> 11. possibly upgrade linux-image, linux-headers, dpkg, apt and
> aptitude, and reboot, bearing in mind anything like wireless stuff,
> ndiswrapper. (If script running, save typescript.)
>
> 12. apt-get upgrade to the new distribution: much might be held back.
>
> 13. there's usually a set of changes listed which needs
> acknowledging: q.
>
> 14. there's usually a query whether to restart services
> automatically: y.
>
> 15. if disk space is an issue, clean the cache after saving debs
>     (if not running apt-cache).

> [...]

With this much work, it would probably be easier just to do a wipe and
re-install, since the process you described basically nukes the system
down to the bare essentials anyway- and for the same effort you could
have an *even cleaner* fresh install.

Meh. I just apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade,
apt-get autoremove, and apt-get clean. It has never failed me.

I do exercise *some* caution though (I run testing)- I read
apt-listbugs before doing anything, and actually *read and investigate*
the changes about to take place on my system.

Do things the Debian Way, use common sense, and all will be well.