Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Tuesday 08 March 2016 09:56:57 Jarle Aase wrote:

> Den 08. mars 2016 15:39, skrev Dutch Ingraham:
> > When networked printers "print" without errors and without actually
> > printing, it could be your firewall blocking.
>
> The printer display says that it is receiving data. Then nothing
> happens. So the comm-link is OK.
>
> Jarle

I have encountered in past lives, printers that needed a final form feed,
chr$(12) before they would print the buffer.

I do not know if that includes the Brother MF stuff, but I have 2 of
their HL series laser printers here, and both work well using the
driver/wrappers and ppd's suplied by Brother for use with cups and have
worked well for several years now.

They don't call home, and they Just Work(TM).

However a recent nearly 8 hour power outage caused by a 200 yo tree
falling off the mountain in an ice forming storm, onto a main circuit
coming into town, did disclose that having a standby generator with a 5
or 6 second response time can put the color laser at least, into an
unusable state which a printer panel power cycle will not reset. It must
have the power cord pulled for long enough to move it to a different
pluggin in my system here in the coyotes.den. I did have it straight
into the wall, and moved it to a different plug that has a very high
rated, 5 kilojoules IIRC, surge arrester behind the plug.  And
amazingly, that longer powerdown, probably over a minute because the
cord was so entangled in the midden heap here (its been collecting for
26 years now :), apparently fixed it.

Your trivia factoid re Brother printers for the day ;-)  If all else
fails, do a prolonged, power cord unplugged, reset.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)