Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

Jarle Aase composed on 2016-03-08 16:56 (UTC+0200):

The printer display says that it is receiving data. Then nothing happens. So
the comm-link is OK.

I have a bunch of multiboot machines. Among the installations are Wheezy, Jessie and Stretch, among various releases of Fedora, Kubuntu, openSUSE, Mageia, and others.

Last summer, to replace a Canon MF laser (Canon I'll never buy again, printer or anything else, due to lack of customer support for Linux users) I acquired first (new):

	Brother HL-5470DW

then (new, but very old stock):

	Brother MFC-420CN

Both are connected only via Ethernet. On some installations I had no trouble making the laser print, while on others I never did figure it out. Whether any Jessie was among those successful I don't remember, and I think I didn't even try with Stretch. IIRC, it was only in the most recent releases using the latest CUPS versions that I had trouble, but I've forgotten all details. As a result of the trouble I had, I've never even tried to configure the inkjet as a printer. I've used it only as a copier so far. It's nuts. If out of color ink it refuses to print anything (according to Brother, that's normal, and really stupid), even when I want black only, and it won't print black at all anyway (it did when I got it, but quit long before the first ink cartridge ran out).

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/