Re: Is it possible to conduct a Debian install over wifi (iwlwifi)?

On Mon 07 Mar 2016 at 03:39:26 +0000, Andy Smith wrote:

> Is there any way to force the debian-installer to realise it needs
> to load firmware for this wifi device? I have a feeling that it is
> seeing there is an eth0 and giving up at that point, assuming that
> is good enough.
>
> All of my online research so far just shows instructions that say
> that the installer will ask for firmware if it thinks it needs it.
>
> Is it even possible to do a Debian install over wifi alone?

1. Stop at the 'Detect network hardware' stage and switch to a console.

2. Unpack the .deb for the firmware you want:

    ar -x /cdrom/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/<your_firmware.deb>

3. Uncompress data.tar.xz:

    unxz data.tar.xz

4. Install the firmware in /lib/firmware:

    tar xvf data.tar

5. Proceed with detecting network hardware and configuring the network.