Re: which files took the space

On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 11:17:19PM -0500, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
> On 3/3/16, Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > On 4/03/2016 3:07 AM, Adam Wilson wrote:
> >>
> >> What does this mean? Mounts overlapping and hiding other mounts?
> >>
> >> Explain, please.
> >
> > Yes, this is more likely to happen to the root file system.
> >
> > Say you have a bunch of files in /boot, but for some reason you have a
> > /boot partition that wasn't mounted when those files were created ....
> > then you mount the /normal/ boot partition over it and now the other
> > files are now hidden from view, but still taking up space.
>

> Is that behavior as designed and thus expected, or is it a glitch?

If memory serves, long, long time ago, "mount" (the system call)
refused to comply unless the directory was empty (kernel 2.6.mumble;
so long ago. Expect bit flips and glitches in my wetware, yadda).

It was perceived as an artificial limitation which has no place in
the kernel. Actually, I can conceive use cases for mount shadowing
the content of a directory.

> My brain's thinking it should either complain and refuse to continue
> else obliterate and replace.

Nothing gets obliterated. Only shadowed...

> To me it would be... safer that it halt and complain rather than
> destroy, but all that shows is that I most likely just don't
> understand the function.
>
> Do (and/or should) the original files "reappear" later?

They do -- at unmount. That's where the "missing" space is used,
after all :-)

> Guess I'm just thinking out loud again.... mostly because I actually
> understand the circumstance as presented. :)

Maling lists are just the hum of many people thinking loud. Keep doing
it :-)

regards
- -- t