Re: which files took the space

On 3/3/16, Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:

> On 4/03/2016 3:07 AM, Adam Wilson wrote:
>> On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 03:03:53 +1100 Andrew McGlashan
>> <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
>>> It also may have been files in the file system, but where another file
>>> system mount hides them....
>>
>> What does this mean? Mounts overlapping and hiding other mounts?
>>
>> Explain, please.
>
> Yes, this is more likely to happen to the root file system.
>
> Say you have a bunch of files in /boot, but for some reason you have a
> /boot partition that wasn't mounted when those files were created ....
> then you mount the /normal/ boot partition over it and now the other
> files are now hidden from view, but still taking up space.

Is that behavior as designed and thus expected, or is it a glitch?

My brain's thinking it should either complain and refuse to continue
else obliterate and replace.

To me it would be... safer that it halt and complain rather than
destroy, but all that shows is that I most likely just don't
understand the function.

Do (and/or should) the original files "reappear" later?

Guess I'm just thinking out loud again.... mostly because I actually
understand the circumstance as presented. :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *