Re: Why so big EFI partition?

On 02/03/16 08:42 AM, Albin Otterhäll wrote:
When doing a guided partition when installing debian, the
debian-installer creates a EFI (/boot/efi) partition with approximately
500MB, and a /boot partition with around 250MB. Why this weird ratio
between them?

To my knowledge only the bootloader(s) in located on the /boot/efi
partition, and the kernel images on /boot. Canonical says that 100MiB is
minimum for Ubuntu's EFI partition, and 200MiB is recommended.

And on a related note: Does debian-installer support *iB units?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Albin

AFAIK if the system doesn't have Windows, you don't need a large EFI partition. I also don't think that the partition would be mounted at /boot/efi - mine isn't. In fact none of my systems have a mountable EFI partition because the partition doesn't contain a file system.

I have an EFI partition on my Jessie system that is only 1M and it works fine. If you are dual-booting with Windows you may need a larger one, but this isn't a Linux issue.