ZFS on Debian GNU/Linux

On 02/28/2016 02:40 AM, Saša Janiška wrote:
> I'd like to use zfs, but, it's still lacks proper distro support to
> fiddle with it.

I believe the crux issue is incompatible licenses between Linux (GPL) and OpenZFS (CDDL):

    http://open-zfs.org/wiki/FAQ#Licensing

I believe some Linux distributions have tried to offered ZFS OOTB, but people and organizations have cried GPL foul:

    https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2016/feb/25/zfs-and-linux/

I believe Debian GNU/ kFreeBSD supports ZFS, but I've never had much success with Debian GNU/ kFreeBSD. Perhaps I need to try again:

https://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD_FAQ#Q._Is_there_ZFS_support.3F

https://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD_FAQ#Q._Can_I_use_ZFS_as_root_or_.2Fboot_file_system.3F

zfs-fuse is integrated into Debian GNU/ Linux, but is older, slower, and lacks features. I ran it on Wheezy, and it worked:

    https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/zfs-fuse

I ran a Wheezy Samba server with mirrored ZFS on Linux (ZOL) for bulk data, but never had much success writing a /etc/init.d script that worked reliably:

    http://zfsonlinux.org/debian.html

I would very much like to have a Debian machine with mirrored ZFS for boot, root, home, bulk data, etc.. I could live with an ext4 boot on a USB flash drive.

Any other thoughts, comments, or suggestions for ZFS on Debian GNU/Linux?

David