Re: Windows Shares Abound Continuously

On 28/02/2016 01:21, Steve Matzura wrote:
Just when I thought it was safe to let my Debian 8.2 system alone for
a few days, I started getting emails from users of the service I
provide which uses that system that they could not access any content
on the shared-mounted drives on one of my Windows machines. Sure
enough, I tried an 'ls' and got "cannot access {name of remote shared
folder}: Remote I/O error".

Thinking this has *got* to be a Windows problem, I rebooted
everything, and everything came back. But within an hour, the remote
I/O error came back, too. Might there be something in dmesg I could or
should look for? Is mounting a Windows shared drive or directory a
problem, and if so, should I go to something else, and what would that
be?

Ever since Windows 3.11 its networking has been just awful and prone to
malfunction without notice, they originally lifted the network stack from
FreeBSD but managed to completely screw it, and it is still awful now, both
in sharing and even trying to find shares.
You would probably be better off putting all that stuff on a samba share
on a nice Debian box, you would be much more likely to get a good nights sleep.

--
Martin