Windows Shares Abound Continuously

Just when I thought it was safe to let my Debian 8.2 system alone for
a few days, I started getting emails from users of the service I
provide which uses that system that they could not access any content
on the shared-mounted drives on one of my Windows machines. Sure
enough, I tried an 'ls' and got "cannot access {name of remote shared
folder}: Remote I/O error".

Thinking this has *got* to be a Windows problem, I rebooted
everything, and everything came back. But within an hour, the remote
I/O error came back, too. Might there be something in dmesg I could or
should look for? Is mounting a Windows shared drive or directory a
problem, and if so, should I go to something else, and what would that
be?