Re: Verify packages?

On 02/26/2016 03:05 PM, Hans wrote:
>> Please try (don't need to be root):
>> [...]
> great! This helped. It was tvbrowser and fakturama (both Debian/Ubuntu
> packages and not from the repo) which interfered.
>
> I moved teh md5sums out of the way during the test.

I would like to note two things:

 - You should try to find out _why_ those programs were causing
   problems: even third-party packages should not misbehave in such
   a way, and this might be an indication for further problems.

 - Irrespective of any of your troubles: note that dpkg --verify and
   debsums are not safe if you want to check against sophisticated
   rootkits. For example, if an attacker modifies the md5sums files
   themselves in addition to some binary (which is what debsums and
   dpkg --verify use), then these tools don't help (and there are
   other possible attacks). Of course, less sophisticated rootkits
   can be detected like that.

   The only truly secure way is to use a boot medium (CD, DVD or USB
   stick) that you've gotten from a trusted source, and then check
   your file system from there. Unfortunately, I don't know of any
   _easy_ way to do so, because while debsums has some options that
   facilitate this, I don't know of any utility that downloads the
   configured APT lists of a given installation, downloads the
   packages that are installed and then checks the installed system
   against those. (You can of course do all that manually to some
   extent, but it gets complicated.)

   For known rootkits you can use the chkrootkit tool (available
   also as a Debian package), but that also has it's limitations.

Regards,
Christian