Re: Warning Linux Mint Website Hacked and ISOs replaced with Backdoored Operating System

On 02/25/2016 03:07 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> MD5 alone can be somewhat dangerous even in benevolent environments: if the
>> data sets are large enough or you are just unlucky, you are going to hit a
>> colision and corrupt-or-lose-data-on-dedup sooner or later.
>
> [G]it doesn't seem worried about this.  Admittedly, they use sha1 rather
> than md5, so they have 160bit instead of 128bit, with a correspondingly
> lower probability of collisions, but I'd be interested to know about
> cases where md5 lead to accidental collisions.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily use that as a benchmark: git could have used
SHA2-256 from the start - it's not like SHA2 is something brand new, it
was already 4 years old when git was developed.

I haven't heard of any _accidental_ collision of either MD5 or SHA1 so
far, but I might be mistaken. (There are of course famous intentional
collisions in MD5, see <http://www.mscs.dal.ca/~selinger/md5collision/>.)

From a mathematical standpoint: if we assume that the values a hash may
produce are uniformly distributed and cover the entire range of possible
outputs, due to the birthday paradox accidental collisions occur every
2^(bitsize/2) inputs; for MD5 that would be 2^64, for SHA1 that would be
2^80.

Whether you can live with that is up to you.

Regards,
Christian