Re: aptitude purge vlc removes approximately 116 other KDE packages

Keith Christian composed on 2016-02-25 06:45 (UTC-0700):

> Running Debian Jessie on a non-critical system at home.  Wanted to use
> xine-ui instead of vlc as a video player, since there appeared to be
> some sort of conflict.

> Ran aptitude -y purge vlc to do the obvious.  116 packages were
> removed, most of the core of KDE.

> Why were so many other packages dependent on vlc?  116 removals just
> to get rid of one package is quite alot!

My guess is that the trigger was

	phonon-backend-vlc

that various KDE components depend on, notifications in particular.

> I have the complete aptitude purge log in a file on disk so the names
> are readily available, but, there must be a more efficient way to
> reinstall the 116 packages.

> Is there a KDE meta-package that will install the majority of KDE that
> was removed?

Most of it will probably be picked up via one or a few:

	kde-standard

may be enough. Others that should help if that's not good enough, or get the
ball rolling if you don't wish to risk overshoot:

	kde-workspace
	kde-runtime
	kde-baseapps
	kde-plasma-desktop