Re: point of information re Debian 8, gnome, and fglrx

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 12:39:12AM -0500, jesse mckeown wrote:

> Now, I don't know if the debian 8 release notes vs. the AMD
> documentation are even addressing the same thing or
> orthogonal things, but I can't find mention of the status of this
> issue in recenter debian mailing lists;
>
>   * is it still a problem?
>   * Has anyone got them playing nice again? (and if so, can
> stable/amd64/release-notes be ammended to reflect it?)

The point of Debian Stable is that, once released, it is stable.
It does not add or remove features; instead, bugs are fixed.

You have correctly noted that there is software from AMD which
was released months after Jessie was frozen to become Stable,
and that software may solve your problem. But it is not part of
Jessie.

Relatively easy ptions open to you, in increasing order of risk:

- is the software available in jessie-backports? You could
  install that.

- you could build the software yourself.

- you could change from Stable to Unstable or Testing.

-dsr-