point of information re Debian 8, gnome, and fglrx

The release notes for debian 8, released in April of 2015, say
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#gnome-3d

> ## 5.11. The GNOME desktop does not work with the AMD proprietary FGLRX driver
>
> Unlike other OpenGL drivers, the AMD FGLRX driver for Radeon adapters does not support the EGL interface. [...]

On the other hand, AMD seem to have, at least, a thing which purports
to support EGL,
http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/graphics-development/amd-opengl-es-sdk/
, at least since August of 2015;
the release notes for version 15.9 of their One Driver to Run Them All
also mention
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst15-9LINReleaseNotes.aspx

> ## Resolved Issues:
>[...]
>  * [424255] AMD Catalyst™ Installer removing EGL links resulting in Xserver/Xorg load failure

Now, I don't know if the debian 8 release notes vs. the AMD
documentation are even addressing the same thing or
orthogonal things, but I can't find mention of the status of this
issue in recenter debian mailing lists;

  * is it still a problem?
  * Has anyone got them playing nice again? (and if so, can
stable/amd64/release-notes be ammended to reflect it?)

Cheers!