Re: BIND problem

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 14:04:52 -0700
Glenn English <ghe@srv.slsware.net> wrote:

> > On Feb 23, 2016, at 8:56 AM, Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > First things first, unless someone deliberately customized
> > it, /etc/rc.local should contain exactly one meaningful line - 'exit
> > 0'.
>
> It does. See below.
>
> > Your result shows entirely different thing though.
>
> Well, I just asked egrep to look for the string 'rc.local' anywhere in a filename in /etc. And it found what look to me like a couple hidden mozilla files. In the list of names, not in the execution of the files.

'-r' flag forced grep to do a different thing - take a contents
of /etc, discard it, and *then* search your current working dir
(which happened to be /root) recursively (and case-insensitive) for
'rc.local'. Any other way you'd see /etc/rc.local in the result of grep.

> > A simple 'cat /etc/rc.local' would be even better.
>
> root@log:~# cat /etc/rc.local
> #!/bin/sh -e
> #
> # rc.local
> #
> # This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
> # Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
> # value on error.
> #
> # In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
> # bits.
> #
> # By default this script does nothing.
>
> exit 0

Nothing unusual, but:

> > But, that's assuming
> > that you can trust your current kernel and userland (see above).
>
> Are you saying it would be worthwhile to compare my kernel modules to those in a live CD? Or is that considered overkill and probably not necessary?

Why, it's worth a shot. But doing it by hand would be
counter-productive. They have invented 'debsums' for cases like this,
after all.

A small howto follows:

1) Boot from LiveCD.

2) Mount hosts' root and /var (if it's a different filesystem)
somewhere. Something like this:

mount -o ro,noexec /dev/sda1 /mnt
mount -o ro,noexec /dev/sda2 /mnt/var

3) Run LiveCD's debsums like this:

debsums -r /mnt -d /mnt/var/lib/dpkg -c

It's important that you should run LiveCD's debsums, not hosts' one.

4) Check for any kernel module out of place like this:

find /mnt/lib/modules -type f | xargs dpkg --root=/mnt -S

5) And, while you're at it, check for real contents of /etc/rc.local,
and for /etc/ld.so.preload.

Reco