Re: FW: Debian package on Windows

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 17:04:42 +0000
Richard Zimmerman <rzimmerman@riverbendhose.com> wrote:

> >> How is Debian better off from Microsoft porting apt to Windows ?
> >
> > Because they didn't select YUM. :) Ric
>
> What is so wrong with YUM? I actually like it better over apt-get or aptitude...

There's nothing wrong with YUM except that:

a) It's dead upstream. They axed it in favor of DNF.

b) It's dependency resolution algorithm is easily beat by snail. And
it usually about as smart as said snail.

c) YUM's package database is stored in SQLite, to which it's written by
sync I/O by small chunks. 4 kilobytes small.

d) And last, but not least. YUM is written in Python in such
memory-hungry way that some Java programs pale in comparison. Adds some
interesting 'jump-through-the-hoops' scenarios on Python upgrades.

YUM has some redeeming qualities but the main on of them is that
YUM is better than it's predecessor - up2date.

If you need an example of good package manager from rpm world - there's
zypper.

Reco