Re: Cannot play any media file using parole in Debian 8 jessie Xfce edition

On Sat, 2016-02-20 at 00:22 +0600, Muntasim-Ul Haque wrote:
> Hi,
> I installed parole media player in Debian 8 jessie Xfce, but
> couldn't
> run it. Then after some digging, I installed gstreamer0.10-plugins-
> good
> package and was able to run parole. But I couldn't play anything
> using
> parole. Every time I open any media file uisng parole, I get the
> same
> error message: "Additional software is required. Parole needs H.264
> decoder to play this file. It can be installed automatically."
> I click the Install button every time, but that doesn't do anything.
> How
> can I solve this problem?
> Thanks.

You probably need all the packages that parole have listed as
suggestions:

    sug: gnome-codec-install
        Package not available

    sug: gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
        Package not available

    sug: gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
        GStreamer plugins from the "bad" set

    sug: gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
        GStreamer plugins from the "ugly" set

Not playing common formats by default is actually an existing bug:

I'm not sure what the reason is for the -ffmpeg package to be listed as
not available, I would assume you need that too.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson