Re: Finding a package for bug report

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 19:50:13 +0100
Don Jajo <donjajo4all@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have seen a bug in Debian sid I guess but I don't know the package
> having this bug and as I read on the Debian page to mail this email
> which I just did.
>
> I upgraded from Stable to Testing and found out that my ZTE USB Modem
> Dongle  I use for browsing which used to receive 3G/UTMS network now
> receives GPRS not even EDGE. But changing to Huawei it receives back
> 3G and another Huawei received GPRS.
>
> Now it's selecting modems, can't use my modem again. Please which
> package is responsible for the network signal?

Probably modem-manager, part of the Network Manager suite.

But pick one package and send the bug report, if it's the wrong package
then the person dealing with it will know where it should go, and will
re-route it. Quote as much information as you can, especially the
modem model number.

You may get some clues if you open a console and run:

tail -f /var/log/syslog

then plug in the modem. There may be a useful error message among the
log messages. Even if there is not an error message, you have modems
which do work, and you may be able to see what isn't happening with the
faulty one.

You would expect the modem to be recognised initially as a USB storage
device, from which a Windows computer would download the driver, then
the mode of the device should be switched to USB modem. The
usb-modeswitch package does this, and it is possible that the problem
may be in this package, but if so, it's probably still the
modem-manager maintainer who would deal with this.

--
Joe