Re: I need help

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 08:43:58PM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:

On 17 February 2016 at 13:37, Adam Wilson <[1]moxalt@riseup.net> wrote:

   On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 15:51:58 +0800 Gener Badenas
   <[2]gener.ong.badenas@gmail.com> wrote:

   > On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 8:01 AM, Ghaith Etaiwi
   > <[3]ghaiththebest55@gmail.com> wrote:
   >
   > > Hello, I'm starting in linux I used Ubuntu and didn't like it and I
   > > have read that many people that used Debian had a better
   > > experience, I have a MacBook Pro 4GB ram/ 500HDD/Intel HD 3000/ i5
   > > 2nd generation, can it run Debian?. Also, I want to know what
   > > version of Debian to download, I saw something about DVD1, DVD2...
   > >

   > You can always choose net install so it is minimal.  Then you can
   > download everything else.  I assume internet is fast in your location.

   Depends on what you consider to be 'fast'. Is 120K/s fast?

​Wouldn't a torrent file allow a a download that was quite a bit faster than
the 120 K/s​?

Bittorrent only helps with a slow server. If the limit is in the client's bandwidth, then connecting to multiple servers... Hmm. Normal HTTP streamed from multiple servers shouldn't be much different (That is, if it takes an hour to download 1GB from one server, it should take about an hour to download 4 250MB chunks from four servers), but because bittorrent downloads relatively small chunks, there will be a lot of setup and tear down of connections, so might actually end up slower.

Regds

MF