Re: bash-completion, tab and ambiguous globs

On 2016-02-17 at 12:43, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 February 2016 16:54:15 John L. Ries wrote:
>
>>> Seriously, when does bash-completion actually help someone on
>>> the command line? The only time I notice it is when a pattern is
>>> buggy and doesn't let me complete a filename even when it's
>>> completely valid.
>>
>> It apparently doesn't do anything for you or me (but I'm a Korn
>> shell user), but I have to assume that at least a few people find
>> it useful, otherwise we would not be having this discussion.
>
> I love it.  I am a lousy typist (the list may have noticed).  Bash
> completion won't complete if I have already made an error, and when
> it completes, completes the rest without an error.  It is an absolute
> godsend.

I'm not sure I understand. How is this different from basic tab
completion, as opposed to the programmable completion which is provided
via the bash-completion package and is being discussed in this thread?

I wouldn't want to get by without tab completion either, but
programmable completion as I've seen it implemented in packages provided
by Debian seems to break some behaviors in the built-in tab completion
on which I had come to rely, so I always turn it off on my machines.

--
   The Wanderer