Phone: (619)543-8880 x107 |
or     (435)867-8885      |
--------------------------|

On Wednesday 2016-02-17 01:57, Anders Andersson wrote:

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 01:57:30
From: Anders Andersson <pipatron@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: bash-completion, tab and ambiguous globs

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Jean-Baptiste Thomas
<cau2jeaf1honoq@laposte.net> wrote:
In bash, typing, say, "ls x*y" then tab lists all the possible
expansions of "x*y" on the next line, then prints the command
line anew with "x*y" replaced by longest common stem.

With bash-completion installed, "x*y" is summarily replaced by
its first match.

Thank you! I just pondered this today, and I remember that it used to
work much better. Now I at least know the culprit.

Seriously, when does bash-completion actually help someone on the
command line? The only time I notice it is when a pattern is buggy and
doesn't let me complete a filename even when it's completely valid.