Re: changing partition names

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 22:33:23 -0500 Frank McCormick
<debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> On 14/02/16 07:56 PM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 19:11:37 -0500
> > Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> >>    Unfortunately neither of those can do what I need.
> >> This is what I have now from sfdisk -l
> >>
> >> label: dos
> >> label-id: 0x5a74aac4
> >> device: /dev/sda
> >> unit: sectors
> >>
> >> /dev/sda1 : start=        2048, size=      194560, type=7
> >> /dev/sda2 : start=      196608, size=    81920000, type=7
> >> /dev/sda4 : start=    82116608, size=    74131456, type=83,
> >> bootable
> >>
> >>   ^^^^^^^^ this is what I need to change to /dev/sda3
> >>
> >> sda1 and sda2 are the Windows partitions. sda4 is Debian
> >>

> > Debian should not care if a partition number is missing. It should
> > still work. The only way I know to renumber a partition is to delete
> > the ones after the missing number. Then you can create new
> > partitions, starting at the empty space.
> >
> > - --
>
>    Yes it does work...but it just seems weird to me :) Maybe it's my
> OCD kicking in but they should be sda1 sda2 sda3 :)

This is literally just OCD. There is nothing wrong with having
sda1/sda2/sda4 as opposed to sda1/sda2/sda3 (though I admit the latter
is more aesthetically pleasing), just as sda1/sda5/sda9 is equally
valid.

Just fight your OCD. Debian will survive having uneven partition
numbering, and will continue to work tickety-boo.