Re: changing partition names

On 14/02/16 07:56 PM, Charlie Kravetz wrote:

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 19:11:37 -0500
Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

On 14/02/16 05:00 PM, rlharris@oplink.net wrote:
On Sun, February 14, 2016 2:42 pm, Frank McCormick wrote:
Can I just use fdisk or fsdisk to dump the existing partition record
edit the file to change sda4 to sda3 and then use fdisk or sfdisk to read
the file and create a properly named partition record ?

To rename partitions, I use gnome-disk-utility.  For some operations I use
GParted.  I tend to get into trouble when using fdisk or fsdisk.

Russ

   Unfortunately neither of those can do what I need.
This is what I have now from sfdisk -l

label: dos
label-id: 0x5a74aac4
device: /dev/sda
unit: sectors

/dev/sda1 : start=        2048, size=      194560, type=7
/dev/sda2 : start=      196608, size=    81920000, type=7
/dev/sda4 : start=    82116608, size=    74131456, type=83, bootable

  ^^^^^^^^ this is what I need to change to /dev/sda3

sda1 and sda2 are the Windows partitions. sda4 is Debian

Debian should not care if a partition number is missing. It should
still work. The only way I know to renumber a partition is to delete
the ones after the missing number. Then you can create new partitions,
starting at the empty space.

- --

  Yes it does work...but it just seems weird to me :) Maybe it's my OCD
kicking in but they should be sda1 sda2 sda3 :)

I don't thinkI want to get involved with backing up creating new one then restoring to solve what seems like a simple problem.