Stretch color scheme problems

Hi all;

Ever since I switch to Stretch I have been having a problem with the color scheme of various applications. I get a lot of black lettering on a black background, white on white and dark blue on black background (impossible to read). I've tried to fiddle with the colors at the kde desktop level and also at the individual application level. There doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern to the problem. Any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

Note: I do not want to change from KDE. I like it a lot.

Gary R.