Re: Install ok, boot fail

Yes! The GRUB_TERMINAL=console setting works...at least I moved forward.Now I can access and edit the GRUB menu.

Now the last messages visible on the screen are:

Unable to read GCT!
VBT signature missing

Then the screen slowly turns white. The problem seems to be in the video interface integrated in the Atom E6xx. I tryed several linux command option like video=640x480 but without effects...

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
F.

Pascal,
you understood correctly: the GRUB is not even shown. Indeed it would be a problen, but now is secondary.
If the GRUB could continue the process (after the timeout), even showing nothing, that could be temporary acceptable. The problem is that it looks like that GRUB stuck the PC.

I'm convincing that the problem is the GRUB. I tried to boot from a Super Grub 2, but it stucks as well.

I'm going to work with the GRUB_TERMINAL=console setting.

Thanks

F.

Brian a écrit :
> On Fri 05 Feb 2016 at 15:05:27 +0100, Fabrizio Carrai wrote:
>
>> Then, at the boot time, nothing happen. After the BIOS messages the screen
>> remain black (no messages at all).
>>
>> I temporary move the disk to another computer and then I was able to boot
>> the fresh Debian installation (that confirmed that the installation was ok).
>
> The other computer likely has a graphics card which (for whatever reason)
> can handle what is given to it.
>
>> Any idea on the problem or how I could investigate on ?
>
> Can you reboot the single board computer with CTRL-ALT-DEL and get back
> to the GRUB menu?

IIUC, the GRUB menu is not even displayed.
However you may be correct about a graphics mode issue, but in GRUB, not
the kernel. I have seen it on a couple of machines/graphic cards.

Boot the system on the other machine or chroot from the installer or any
live system.
Edit /etc/default/grub to uncomment GRUB_TERMINAL=console.
Run update-grub to regenerate the grub config file.
Try to boot again on the single board.

--
Fabrizio

--