Re: grub-installer: NVMe boot drives not supported ?

Hello,
So the issue seemed to be a bios settings.
By default the system is set up for some sports of intel recovery raid. Dell e7470 Samsung NVME 512GB. I presume this will be the case for all m.2 connected devices on dell latitude line.
Changing the SATA controls to AHCI or "disable sata" leaving only m.2 causes the disk to show up in legacy boot and it gets detected by installer on debian stable.

As far as grub it does fail during installation.
You do need to follow part of the:
http://www.poweredbyjeff.com/2015/10/29/Intel-750-SSD-in-Debian-Jessie/

cd /target
mount --rbind /proc proc/
mount --rbind /sys sys/
mount --rbind /dev dev/
mount --rbind /run run/
chroot . /bin/bash
then
apt-get update
apt-get install grub-efi-amd64
update-grub
grub-install
#grub-install failed saying no target specified...so you need to point it at the disk.

grub-install /dev/nvme0n1
#it should say install successful or something along these lines.
Then continue without boot...
Why the grub-install fails I'm not sure. I noticed only grub-common was installed if that makes any difference....but anyway.

Thanks
Luca