Re: Problem with udev upgrading from wheezy to jessie

On Sunday 31 January 2016 17:35:46 Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 10:53:55AM +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > Not quite.  It still does need the sentence:
> > "Please upgrade your kernel before or while upgrading udev."
> > Perhaps even better:
> > "Please upgrade your kernel before upgrading udev."
> > to precede it, since that would obviously be the best way to proceed.
> > Get the kernel on first - after all, there are such things as power cuts.
> >  You might install udev, then have e.g. a power cut.
>
> My understanding was that the kernel won't install *because* of the
> installed version of udev

No.  Other way round.  Install the new kernel and udev will be fine.  That
sentence
"Please upgrade your kernel before or while upgrading udev."
was taken from the original error message as reported by the OP - I just
copied and pasted it.

The upgraded udev won't boot with the old kernel, so if you install the
upgraded udev, and you shut down or are forcibly shut down by force majeure,
you are in trouble.  The kernel must go on first or simultaneously.  First is
obviously safer.

Lisi