Re: Problem with udev upgrading from wheezy to jessie

On Thursday 28 January 2016 10:28:23 Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 10:38:36PM +0200, Selim T. Erdoğan wrote:

> > > You can force the upgrade of the udev by creating the flag file
> > > /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade simply by running something like
> > > touch /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade
> > > The run the udev installation again. No special --force flags are
> > > necessary.
> > >
> > > If you do *not upgrade the kernel afterwards *before* rebooting, it can
> > > lead to an unbootable system.
> > >
> > > I thought the error message from udev was pretty clear, but apparently
> > > it isn't?
> >
> > The way I read it, the part in capitals grabs all the attention and
> > breaks the flow of the main sentence.  When I first read it (admittedly
> > not carefully enough) I thought it meant "Installing this version of
> > udev will break the system at next reboot.  It will do this by creating
> > the /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade file." :)
>
> Me too! :)
>
> > I think it would have been much clearer if it had been:
> >
> > AT YOUR OWN RISK, you can force the installation of this version of
> > udev, by creating the /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade file.  However, this
> > version of udev does not work with your running kernel, so, after
> > upgrading udev, you MUST also upgrade the kernel before rebooting.
> > OTHERWISE YOU WILL BREAK YOUR SYSTEM AT THE NEXT REBOOT.
>
> Perfect! (ok, you don't need the comma after the first 'udev')

Not quite.  It still does need the sentence:
"Please upgrade your kernel before or while upgrading udev."
Perhaps even better:
"Please upgrade your kernel before upgrading udev."
to precede it, since that would obviously be the best way to proceed.  Get the
kernel on first - after all, there are such things as power cuts.  You might
install udev, then have e.g. a power cut.

Lisi