Re: Alternatives to gftp in Jessie

Markos <markos@c2o.pro.br> writes:

>>> I used to use gftp as a ftp client, but I don't find it in Jessie.
>>> What happened to it?

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=gftp
shows, that `gftp' is in wheezy, and all the same in stretch --- v2.0.19

FWIW, you may have a temporary /etc/apt/sources.list having only a
stretch main  line like this:
deb http://<your-mirror.debian.tld>/debian/ stretch main
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is your mirror url!
    Preserve it. Please dont copy from here!

and run `apt-get update` and `apt-get install gftp` as root.

And then restore the original sources.list back in place.

If you favor gui, you may use a combination of gedit and synaptic or
else, just as you please.

> Does anyone have any tip about an FTP client, with GUI, equivalent to gftp?
Others have spoken the worth of Filezilla, and its memory footprint as
well. If you are even a little bit text oriented, try lftp, it has a
highly user-friendly (text) interface.

Retrieved from http://lftp.yar.ru/desc.html

/------------------------
| Examples:
|
| 	lftp> cat file | gzip > file.gz
| 	lftp> get file &
| 	lftp> (cd /path && get file) &
|
| The first command retrieves file from ftp server and passes its contents
| to gzip which in turn stores compressed data to file.gz. Other commands
| show how to start commands or command groups in background.

Thanks,

(B.V. Raghav)