Re: Debian

On 01/28/2016 03:00 AM, K K wrote:
Which version of Debian would you recommend to install on my computer?

> Sony VAIO SVE1712C1E

First, backup all of your data and take a binary image of the HDD. Make two extra copies of the backups and of the image, and store one copy of each off-site.

I agree with the suggestion of trying a Debian Live distribution. I prefer the previous release of Debian, "Wheezy", with the Xfce desktop. There are other choices, too. Your processor is 64-bit:

    http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/7.9.0-live/amd64/bt-hybrid/

    http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/7.9.0-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/

The current release ("Jessie") images are here:

    http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/bt-hybrid/

    http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/

Debian Live has features for persisting data between boots, but the documentation currently seems to be off-line (?).

If and when you're ready to install Debian, Windows 8 64-bit implies that the computer has UEFI firmware and Secure Boot. So, you will have to figure out how to turn off Secure Boot and enable the BIOS Compatibility Support Module (CSM):

    https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch03s06.html.en#UEFI

I would install Debian on a USB 3.0 drive and keep the Windows disk untouched -- a working Windows disk is a useful tool that is worth keeping. The definitive solution is replacing the HDD with an SSD and installing Debian onto the SSD.

David