Re: failed to fetch Sid InRelease

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 05:39:36AM +0300, Adam Wilson wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 17:19:09 -0500 Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net>
> wrote:
>
> >    # aptitude update
> >    Err: http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian unstable InRelease
> >      temporary failure resolving 'ftp.us.debian.org'
> >    W: Failed to fetch
> >      http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/InRelease:
> >      temporary failure resolving ftp.us.debian.org
>
> I suspect this is a problem either server-side or something to do with
> your connection. Note the 'failure resolving ftp.us.debian.org'. It
> can't even access the server, let alone download the InRelease file.

That was my first assumption, so waited a day for things to get
fixed. When no one reported problems with the repository, I began to
suspect the problem was at my end.

I can access ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists from another machine to
update Wheezy. I can access .../unstable/InReleases with a web browser.

When I shut X server down and do # aptitude update from console, I get
this:

  W: chmod 0700 of directory /var/lib/apt/lists/partial failed - \
     SetupAPTPartialDirectory (1: Operation not permitted)
  E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - \
     (13: Permission denied)
  E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists

The only difference between my working Wheezy and broken Sid is that the
permissions for /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ in Wheezy is 755 and owned
by root root, while in Sid it is 700 and owned by _apt root. In both
cases, the lock file is 620 and owned by root root.

This returns nothing: # cat /etc/group | grep _apt

My sense there is something strange going on, but I don't want to mess
things up more by mindless experimenting.

Haines