Re: getting sound in Sid

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 10:10:51PM +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 03:26:55PM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Aptitude install does not list it as a requirement, but when I go to
> > install either pulseaudio or pavucontrol it says the following NEW
> > packages will be installed [...]
>
> Perhaps your apt is installing recommended packages (instead of just
> required?) You can test it by giving the option --no-recommends to
> aptitude (short: -R).

I apologize for my ignorance. I didn't realize that aptitude would
install recommended packages or that I could use the -R option to avoid
it. Following your suggestion, I succeeded in installing pavucontrol and
pulseaudio without systemd. I thank you.

However, I mention a hiccup in case someone might find it of
interest. The installation of pavucontrol said it would remove
aptitude. I let it do that, figuring I could always recover it with
apt-get. But as the result both apt-get and aptitude stopped
working. When I try:

  $ aptitude -R install pulseaudio
  E: No priority (or zero) specified for pin

I found that /etc/apt/preferences/systemd has these two lines:

  package systemd: *systemd*
  Pin: origin ""\Pin-Priority: -1

This looked suspicious and so removed the backslash and put
"Pin-Priority: -1" on next line. Off hand, that seemed to have fixed the
problem.

Haines