Re: wodim "Cannot open SCSI driver!"

On Sunday 24 January 2016 18:50:25 Emanuel Berg wrote:

> "Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> writes:
> >   wodim -v dev=/dev/sr0 -toc
> >
> > If i run this on an empty drive, i get
> >
> >   ... Current: 0x0000 (Reserved/Unknown) ... Sense
> > Code: 0x3A Qual 0x01 (medium not present - tray
> > closed) Fru 0x0 ... wodim: No disk / Wrong disk!
>
> I get the same, only:
>
>     Sense Code: 0x3A Qual 0x00 (medium not present) Fru 0x0
>
> >> I'm used to things in the computer world either
> >> working or not. But perhaps the burner is one thing
> >> where the result can be spotty as well as perfect
> >> or not at all.
> >
> > The process of imprinting information relies in part
> > on chemistry. This opens the door for thermodynamics
> > and its weirdnesses. (How does a Crooke Radiometer
> > work ? What's really behind the Mpemba effect ?
> > Public explanations are ridiculous despite the
> > experimental situation being quite clear.)
> >
> > Nevertheless, if the CD laser diode is dead and the
> > the DVD diode still works, then this is a case of
> > works-not-at-all-with-CD.
>
> Wow! Good answer :)
>
> I went to the tech store today and an extern USB DVD
> burner is 399 SEK ~($46, £33, or €43) - so even the
> common man can get one, I suppose.

I bought the last burner I have, about 3 or 4 years ago at wallmart,
everything but Blue Ray, for about a $25 dollar bill. Internal, sata
interface.  It has to date burned 2 or 3 100 count spindles of cd's and
dvd's, and has never hicupped unless the disk was phony. Some brands
have a high phony percentage.  From an lshw report:

    *-scsi:2
          physical id: 11
          logical name: scsi4
          capabilities: emulated
        *-cdrom
             product: iHAS424   B
             vendor: ATAPI
             physical id: 0.0.0
             bus info: scsi@4:0.0.0
             logical name: /dev/cdrom
             logical name: /dev/cdrw
             logical name: /dev/dvd
             logical name: /dev/dvdrw
             logical name: /dev/sr0
             version: GL1A
             capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
             configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc

I've had a small wagon load of junk optical drives over the last 18
years, must have at least 10 laying around because I'm a packrat, but
this one has been a workhorse that doesn't seem to need any oats.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)