Re: wodim "Cannot open SCSI driver!"

Hi,

> I have suspected a hardware error as well. Is there
> any way to confirm this?

You could try whether it can recognize any kind of other medium:

  wodim -v dev=/dev/sr0 -toc

If i run this on an empty drive, i get

  Current: 0x0000 (Reserved/Unknown)
  Sense Code: 0x3A Qual 0x01 (medium not present - tray closed) Fru 0x0
  wodim: No disk / Wrong disk!

That's what i expect with your drive and problematic media.

With a non-blank CD-RW i get

  Current: 0x000A (CD-RW)
  Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corporation
  track:   1 lba:         0 (        0) 00:02:00 adr: 1 control: 0 mode: -1
  track:lout lba:     23260 (    93040) 05:12:10 adr: 1 control: 0 mode: -1

With a blank CD-R:

  Current: 0x0009 (CD-R)
  Sense Code: 0x24 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in cdb) Fru 0x0
  wodim: Cannot read TOC header
  wodim: Cannot read TOC/PMA

(These complaints are normal. wodim should not try to inspect
the CD-R content after the burner reported that it is blank.)

With blank DVD-R:

  Current: 0x0011 (DVD-R sequential recording)
  ... same complaints as with blank CD-R ...

> Strange thing tho I recently burned an ISO DVD movie
> to a DVD with no problem.

The laser beams for CD and DVD are of different wavelength.
It seems that there are two different laser diodes used.
  http://mods-n-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/extract-laser-diodes-from-dvd-burner-computer-drive-398495/

> I'm used to things in the
> computer world either working or not. But perhaps the
> burner is one thing where the result can be spotty as
> well as perfect or not at all.

The process of imprinting information relies in part on chemistry.
This opens the door for thermodynamics and its weirdnesses.
(How does a Crooke Radiometer work ? What's really behind the
Mpemba effect ? Public explanations are ridiculous despite the
experimental situation being quite clear.)

Nevertheless, if the CD laser diode is dead and the the DVD diode
still works, then this is a case of works-not-at-all-with-CD.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas