Re: using openbox and xconsolekit in debian

On 24 January 2016 at 11:52, Michael Fothergill <michael.fothergill@googlemail.com> wrote:
Dear Folks,

I am running debian stretch on an AMD machine:

AMD A4-3400 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics

​on a Gigabyte F2A78M-HD2 board.

I had the display manager that comes with the xfce window manager installation set up to allow a choice between xfce and the enlightenment environment.

I then installed openbox and noticed that the display manager saw it and I had choice to use either of the three window managers when I logged in.

I experimented with openbox and I think it's rather good.

I notice that there is package called consolekit that you can install which would allow you to start up openbox without a conventional display manager being installed.

If you want to use consolekit then I think you are meant to add the following line to the xinitrc file (which seems to live in /etc/X11/xinit/ ) :

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session openbox-session

The xinitrc file I am interested in looks like this:

***************************

#!/bin/sh

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/etc/X11/xinit/Xresources
sysmodmap=/etc/X11/xinit/Xmodmap

# merge in defaults and keymaps

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then

    xrdb -merge $sysresources

fi

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f "$userresources" ]; then

    xrdb -merge "$userresources"

fi

if [ -f "$usermodmap" ]; then
    xmodmap "$usermodmap"
fi

# start some nice programs

if [ -n "`/etc/X11/chooser.sh`" ]; then
command="`/etc/X11/chooser.sh`"
else
failsafe="yes"
fi

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ] ; then
for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/?* ; do
[ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
done
unset f
fi

if [ -n "$failsafe" ]; then
twm &
xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login
else
exec $command
fi

Running the consolekit is apparent done as follows:

root #/etc/init.d/consolekit start

My question is: how would I best modify the above script to add the openbox start up command line?

​Forget this, I have got it to start the openbox session......​

Regards

Michael Fothergill

--
Climostat Ltd