Re: using openbox and xconsolekit in debian

On Sun 24 Jan 2016 at 11:52:52 +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> I am running debian stretch on an AMD machine:
>
> AMD A4-3400 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
>
> ​on a Gigabyte F2A78M-HD2 board.
>
> I had the display manager that comes with the xfce window manager
> installation set up to allow a choice between xfce and the enlightenment
> environment.
>
> I then installed openbox and noticed that the display manager saw it and I
> had choice to use either of the three window managers when I logged in.
>
> I experimented with openbox and I think it's rather good.
>
> I notice that there is package called consolekit that you can install which
> would allow you to start up openbox without a conventional display manager
> being installed.

Using startx?

> If you want to use consolekit then I think you are meant to add the
> following line to the xinitrc file (which seems to live in /etc/X11/xinit/
> ) :

You do not want to use consolekit.

> exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session
> openbox-session
>
> The xinitrc file I am interested in looks like this:

You are not interested in using /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc but in devising a
~/.xsession file.

[Snip]

> Running the consolekit is apparent done as follows:
>
> root #/etc/init.d/consolekit start

Where did you get the idea youneed to run consolekit?

> My question is: how would I best modify the above script to add the openbox
> start up command line?

The command might be 'openbox'. Put it at the end of ~/.xsession.