Re: Aptitude message.

On 2016-01-22 21:49, Brian wrote:
On Fri 22 Jan 2016 at 20:55:05 +1000, Weaver wrote:

Am receiving this on 'aptitude update'.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
root@Telaman:/home/weaver# aptitude update
Hit http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian unstable InRelease
[ ERR] Reading package lists
E: Unable to parse package file /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.au.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_contrib_binary-amd64_Packages
(1)
E: The package cache file is corrupted
E: Couldn't rebuild package cache
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm able to run the update process without incident, and it finishes
cleanly.
Is anybody else getting this?
/etc/apt/sources.list is fine, with contrib included as per usual, so I can
only assume it's unavailable at the server end.

Other than that, there was a power failure during the night that might have
done some damage, and I might have to begin a data rescue scenario.

Comment out everything in sources.list. Update. /var/lib/apt/lists/ should
now have only /partial and lock.

Uncomment a ftp.au.debian.org line, perhaps without contrib, Update.

Continue adding to sources.list and updating

How does that go?

All went well, actually.
I updated Main, then included non-free, then brought in contrib.
Then updated all together before the safe-upgrade.
Horror message gone.

While doing all this, I noticed a fullstop/period after 'main', and before 'non-free' and 'contrib'. I've had this system installed for ages (since 8), and I haven't been into etc/apt/sources.list for about a year, so I might have had a game-playing visitor. I've only just started receiving this message on the last couple of updates.
Might have to run some checks.

Thanks for all the help from those that contributed.
Cheers!
Weaver.
--
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government."
 -- Thomas Paine

Registered Linux User: 554515