Re: getting sound in Sid

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 23:00:02 +0100
Floris <jkfloris@dds.nl> wrote:

> Op Thu, 21 Jan 2016 22:25:20 +0100 schreef Haines Brown
> <haines@histomat.net>:
>
> > I apparently have ALSA on Debian Sid on a Thinkpad, or at least
> > alsa-mixer seems set up correctly. But $ speaker-test makes no sound.
> >
> > # lspci | grep audio returns nothing. So I wondered if alsa drivers are
> > installed. Soundcore is installed, but I discovered there is no longer
> > any alsa-modules package.
>
> The alsa modules are named snd_***
> You can check your loaded modules with
> $ lsmod | grep snd
>

> > In Sid has ALSA been replaced by pavucontrol? To get sound, must I
> > install it?
> >
> Alsa is build-in in the kernel.
> pavucontrol is just a gui for the pulseaudio mixer. It is up to you
> if you install it or use an other mixer
>
> Floris

First using # dpkg -l grep | alsa
everything listed, remove with # dpkg -P (packages) You can list them all with a
space between each for a sequential purge. Copy and paste is useful here.

then:

apt-get install pavucontrol

I don't know why but this solution got sound working again for me after a long
fight with different configuration files that controlled ALSA.

pavucontrol might just be another mixer but it's more than that because it will
bring with it those necessary things to have sound on your computer (again) The
ALSA era is now over for we the unstable. pavucontrol will likely find your
sound output device when it installs.

After installation you should test for sound before tinkering with the GUI. It
should work, and it probably will.

--
CK