Re: Fw: Books Inquiry

On 21/01/2016, mohammad Harun <muhd.harun18@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sir
>
> Is there any book/guide/tutorial about how to use GUI (graphical user
> interface) or Mouse in Debian ?
>
> It's hard to know how to download Debian ? though I tried many links on your
> download page but still don't know what to download & how to download.
>
> I am using Pentium 4 CPU 3.2GHz and 3 GB of Ram & 32 bit computer. I run
> both Window xp & Windows 7 on it & have 80 GB hard disk drive.
>
> but I can't understand on download page terms like i386 etc........
>
> regards

You have stated that you have a 32 bit computer.

To start at the beginning:

1. On the Debian web site home page at
http://www.debian.org/
is

"
Debian provides more than a pure OS: it comes with over 43000
packages, precompiled software bundled up in a nice format for easy
installation on your machine. Read more...
"

2. The text "Read more" is a label for a hypertext link that leads to
the web page at
http://www.debian.org/intro/about
which has the question at the top of the page;
"What hardware is supported?"
which is a hypertext link that leads to a position lower down the web page;
http://www.debian.org/intro/about#hardware
which as

"
Debian will run on almost all personal computers, including most older
models. Each new release of Debian generally supports a larger number
of computer architectures. For a complete list of currently supported
ones, see the documentation for the stable release.
"

3. The words "documentation for the stable release" are a label for a
hypertext link, that leads to
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/
which has

"
The following computer architectures are supported in this release:

64-bit PC (amd64)
32-bit PC (i386)
"

and, above that,

"
To obtain and install Debian, see the installation information page
and the Installation Guide.
"

4. The words "Installation Guide" are a label for a hypertext link
that leads to the web page at
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

which has

"
Installation instructions, along with downloadable files, are
available for each of the supported architectures:

Installation Guide for 64-bit PC (amd64)
Installation Guide for 32-bit PC (i386)
"

5. The last line of that text;

"
Installation Guide for 32-bit PC (i386)
"

is  a label for a hypertext link, that should lead to a web page/web
site, with all of the information need to install the appropriate
version, given that all of the information so far, makes it clear,
from following the instructions, that the i386 version is the
appropriate version for a 32-bit (intel based, or, Intel-like, as in
CISC processor, rather than a 32 bit RISC processor or a 32 bit
Motorola processor (I think there may have been a 32 bit Motorola
processor, that had 8 bit buses)) system.

The web page to which the last mentioned hypertext link, leads, is at
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/

Thus, should the question be answered.

Remember - "If all else fails, follow the instructions".

--

Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."