Re: Can't connect to outside world using openbox

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 18:29:57 +0000 (UTC)
Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2016-01-18, Francis Gerund <ranrund@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The problem is (apparently) solved!
> >
> > When I originally installed using xfce, it installed
> > network-manager, which is what I have been using.  Works fine.
> > Then I added openbox to try using as a stand-alone alternative to
> > xfce.
> >
> > During the original xfce install, I unchecked the option "All users
> > may connect to this network".  That worked fine under xfce.  But,
> > under openbox, networking refused to go beyond the lcoal machine.
> > Checking the option "All users may connect to this network" causes
> > networking to act as expected from openbox (after rebooting).
> >
> > Perhaps network-manager considers an alternate login (even the same
> > actual person, from the same machine) as a different "user".  I
> > never would have thought of that.  Thanks to ansgar for the
> > suggestion.
> >
> > And thanks to all who replied about this!
>
> I suspect the problem is that the network manager applet is running
> during your xfce session, but not in the case of openbox. That applet
> is required to initiate a "private" network connection.

Not actually required, just convenient. Now that Network Manager works,
(for years it was known as 'not-work manager') I find it useful on my
portables, as it provides one GUI interface for OpenVPN, 3G dongle, wifi
and plain cabled Ethernet. In fact as far as OpenVPN goes, NM only
handles fairly orthodox setups, such as I use. If you need to do
anything a bit exotic it is of little use and you need to manually edit
the config script.

I don't have NM on my desktop, which manages DHCP fine without it, and
did when I used to use Openbox with LXDE (I'm on Xfce with its own WM
now).

--
Joe