Re: no wifi on jessie install

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 06:57:45PM -0700, Bob Holtzman wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 11:42:23AM -0700, Bob Holtzman wrote:
> > Finally got around to installing jessie (clean install) on a thinkpad
> > 420 and all seemes to go well except there is no wireless, only ethernet.
> >
> > lsmod shows iwlwifi but I can't get the radio to turn on.
> >
> > Installed firmware-linux-nonfree with no results.
> >
> > Any help appreciated.
>
> Very Embarrassing. While I was typing a reply to Lisi's message I
> happened to look down. Lo and behold, the radio light was on. Did it
> spontaneously cure itself? I know I did nothing, not even type Fn + F5
> which is the hardware switch.

I've got a laptop which I have to push a physical orange button on the
front, and also a key combination on the keyboard. Unfortunately, there
seems to be no indication when one is off or on.

It can be very frustrating and time consuming to get it going again
trying the different combinations while in wicd-client pushing f5 to
scan the networks, and using ifconfig, etc.

Sometimes a reboot fixes it. I've yet to look at a friends laptop who
says his wireless has stopped working, so don't be embarrassed, it can
be frustrating getting wireless to work on a laptop.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X