Re: About new mail client

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 11:11:33AM -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jan 2016, Jonas Hedman wrote:
>
> >Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 08:41:22
> >From: Jonas Hedman <jonas.hedman@fripost.org>
> >To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >Subject: Re: About new mail client
> >
> >On 15-12-18 11:12:29, Klearchos-Angelos Gkountras wrote:
> >>My branch is sid and used to use icedove as default mail client . I think with enigmail is kinda broken and I can't use as encryption and sign messages . any suggestions ? I am thinking about sylpheed or claws .which one you suggest me ?
> >>--
> >>Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
> >>

> >What about som textbased client like mutt or alpine?
> >
> Another possibility along these lines would be nmh.  The thing I like
> about nmh is it doesn't store messages in mbox format files.  Each
> message lives in its own file.  This might seem trivial to many until
> clamav quarrantines your entire mbox file because it found a virus in
> a single message.  I had that happen to me once and lost over 600
> other messages that way.  It's necessary to use the inc command
> inside nmh to pull messages off the mail spool file into nmh and once
> this is done, the mail spool file is expendible.  Clamav runs on a
> machine set up this way it only quarrantines the specific messages
> with the viruses in them and leaves the rest tested and unmolested so
> you can read them later.  Of course nmh is made up of several
> commands so it takes a little more to learn to use it but with use
> you're not stuck in one mail client program.

This is similar to the (now more widely supported) maildir
format, which has the added benefits of being safe for use over
NFS and stranger remote filesystems, with multiple concurrent
access.

Maildir is supported by many packages, including Postfix, qmail,
Exim, procmail, mutt, Thunderbird, etc and so forth and so on.

-dsr-