Re: Can't connect to outside world using openbox

Hi,

Francis Gerund <ranrund@gmail.com> writes:
> The problem may be with dhcp, since xfce has no problem getting to the
> outside world, but openbox refuses to go any further than localhost.
>
> So, does dhcp functionality need to be installed and/or set up
> separately for openbox?
>
> And if so, how?

What do you use to manage your network connection?

ifupdown should work regardless of the graphical interface, but
NetworkManager can have either "user" or "system" connections[1].  The
system connections are always available, but I'm not sure when user
connections are brought up: they might require some support from the
desktop environment or manual configuration.

If you use NetworkManager, I suggest to make sure the connection is a
"system" connection.  You can do so using "nm-connection-editor" (from
network-manager-gnome) or possibly other ways.  In nm-connection-editor,
the setting should be "All users may connect to this network" in the
"General" tab.  You might also want to check "Automatically connect to
this network when it is available" if it is not already checked.

Ansgar

  [1] <https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/NetworkManager/Users#How_do_I_change_my_network_connections.3F>