Re: SFTP via ssh and symlink permissions

Tomas,

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 08:26:16 +0100, you wrote:

>Those are totally meaningless. Just ignore them (BTW there was a
>discussion about this not long ago in this mailing list: if you're
>interested I can dig it out for you).

I would be very interested. So as not to clutter up the list, please
send it to me at my subscribed email address.

>> . the permission and ownership of the object the symlink points to
>
>Those *do* matter.

OK. As long as they're world read, I don't care what they are, but for
possible future needs and general information, fstab probably needs
something special to mount them owned and grouped by something other
than root, which is what they are now. What is the syntax for that
inside fstab? Or is it done after the things are mounted?

>> . the permission and ownership of the mount point created with `mkdir
>> -p' on which the filesystem is mounted.
>
>The FTP server might not even know about these details. But it might
>fail to open a file given its name if it fails to read some of the
>directories along the path.

I tried it and it works. These things are all world read-only, and I
did test them and they do work.

>And there's one last point: the FTP server might decide to not
>resolve symlinks, depending on some security settings.

Ah, got that covered with the mod_vroot module in ProFTPD.