FTP with all files elsewhere

I asked this question on the ProFTPD list, but I thought it might be
more of a system question than an FTP server question. The more I look
at the message, I think it's probably both.

My system, which is now working correctly after reboot testing
following fstab changes discussed elsewhere, will serve files via FTP
located on media mounted either via Windows
share or network-attached storage. I only want certain directories
from these sources to be accessible by the server. I'm symlinking
all the top-level directories I want accessible to the login directory
of the FTP account. Although there aren't more than ten of these, I'm
wondering is this the right way to do this? I don't know of any other
easy yet secure way to set this up. Thoughts and advice welcome.