Re: File Management, How to List All

Hi,

ray wrote:
> ls -al -R gives the data but the output prints a directory and all the
> files under that directory.  Capturing this as text list all the files but
> the path is not recorded from each file.

To list all file paths under /my/directory use program "find":

  find /my/directory -exec ls -ald '{}' ';' >/the/result/file

Option -exec will for each file execute the shell command up
to the word ';'. The word '{}' gets replaced by the path of the
file that is being processed.
So the result file "/the/result/file" will show the output
lines of many commands like:

  ls -ald /my/directory/some/file
  ls -ald /my/directory/some/other_file

The option "-exec" of program "find" is very powerful. Be careful.
It performs "rm" as easy as "ls".

"find" has lots of filtering options, called "tests". Among them
  -name "*.txt"
  -type f
  -newer /some/reference/file
  test -a test