Re: Question: eth0 vs enp1s0 (second try)

On Thu 31 Dec 2015 at 19:08:18 +0100, Hans wrote:

> What do 'ls /sys/class/net' and 'ip link' give without this addition?
>
> I get:
>
> ls /sys/class/net/
>
> enp1s0  Io  wlan0

Interesting. One interface is renamed; one is not (wlan0).

[Snip]

> I believe, the different outrputs are just becaus the EEEPC is newer and got a
> newer hardware and a more talking BIOS.

My understanding is that the information provided by the BIOS and PCI
slots is used by udev to produce the interface names. I'm not happy with
newness as an explanation.

> Thank you for all the help, the explanation is not as easy as I though, but
> the solution is.
>
> So let this problem be solved for now.

The view might be different if the machine had been remote and using
ifupdown's hardcoded interface names. 70-persistent-net-rules is
intended to ensure renaming doesn't happen. If it has that would be
quite a serious matter.