Re: Attempt to Move Root

On Sun, 27 Dec 2015 10:07:13 -0500
Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> I made the mistake of trying to install a wheezy derivitive on a 2T
> drive that had been prepared using GPT partitions.  The installer
> could not see them at all, so after 2 tries, I just let it go ahead
> and do its own partitioning and formatting to ext4. The system has
> actually worked well, on a drive that is said to be too big for MBR.

The max addressable size of a drive for MBR is 2TiB, AIUI.

> So I would like to be enlightened as to the real differences between
> the systems. URL's to the proponents sites would be fine.

You can take a look at this, for starters:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GPT

The first couple of sections highlights the differences between MBR and
GPT, and there are links to more information at the bottom of the page.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"