Re: debian tablet

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 03:09:29PM +0100, jdd wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Do you now of any tablet on the $200 range, around 10" that runs Debian? -
> or by the way any other Linux.
>
> I don't want virtualized linux, the tablets are slow enough from scratch,
> but a tablet that run linux natively.
>
> I've seen some on the net, but in very limited edition.
>
> https://jolla.com/tablet/
>
> I would like personal experience if any of your do have one
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/tablet
>
> don't seems to be released now
>
> is it reasonable to think than is the tablet runs windows it can run linux?
> (most are a bit expensive but can be found second hand)
>
> thanks
> jdd

The problem is that the cheap, nasty tablets all run Android of various versions.

Device drivers, if they exist, are generally poorly maintained and impossible to find.

A lot of the images are a binary blob.

Similar for the expensive tablets, though something like the top end Samsungs / the Google Nexus will have
published drivers.

You can get Debian to run on some of the convertible laptops e.g. the Asus Transformer range, but they are more expensive.

It's quite possible that if you find a cheap, Intel Atom based tablet that was running Windows that it will also run
Debian but it would be hard to know before buying and trying.

All the best,

AndyC